news-2022 St. Joseph County Bar Association Liberty Bell Award-Fred Upton
St. Joseph County District Court Judge Jeffrey C. Middleton announced the recipient of the St. Joseph County Bar Association’s 37th Annual Liberty Bell Award.
The 2022 recipient of the award is Fred Upton, U.S. Congressman for Michigan’s 6th District.
On May 1, 1985, the St. Joseph County Bar Association established the local Liberty Bell Award. The award is presented annually on Law Day, May 1, to a non-lawyer, individual or organization, within the community of St. Joseph County, who has made an outstanding contribution to the community in one of the following areas:
- Promote a better understanding of our Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
- Encourage greater respect for the law and the courts.
- Stimulate a deeper sense of individual responsibility so that citizens recognize their duties as well as their rights.
- Contribute to the proper functioning of our private and governmental institutions.
- Foster a better understanding and appreciation of the rule of law.
The St. Joseph Bar Association chose Upton for his many years of service to the citizens of St. Joseph County and members of the 6th Congressional District.
Upton has served as the representative for Michigan’s 6th congressional district, which includes St. Joseph County, since being elected in 1986. He has been reelected to that seat an additional 13 times. He is currently one of the most senior members of the House of Representatives. On April 5, Upton announced that he would not run again.
There will be an official presentation of the Liberty Bell Award by the St. Joseph County Bar Association at 9 a.m. on May 25. The ceremony will take place in Circuit Court Judge Paul Stutesman’s Courtroom A on the 2nd floor of the St. Joseph County Courthouse. A small reception will follow. The public is invited to attend this ceremony.