FREE legal assistance to all Dallas County residents
Verna’s HELP Foundation offers free legal assistance to Dallas County residents
Legal clinics will be held on Saturday, May 21 to update Dallas County residents on the recently passed proposals and provide valuable information regarding reduced property taxes for homeowners.
The clinics will be hosted by Justice Dominique Collins and Justice Audrey Moorehead and will also include 10 guest lawyers to answer some of the most pressing questions they are often asked.
These questions are:
- Dismissal from a ticket after returning from TDCJ or being in prison for 3 to 6 months; to help get their tickets thrown out while getting many driver’s licenses reinstated. Without a driver’s license, one cannot travel by plane and, in some cases, find a job. They also cannot vote.
- Housing for Homeless Veterans and County Court Mentally Disabled; and where are they?
- Your estate: the difference between a will and a probated will. Who needs a will, trust or living trust.
- Legal rights of older people after eviction. How long do you have after receiving deportation papers?
- The new tax law and exemptions for disabled people under 65.
- The application and process for expungement of the crime.
- Legal rights when you are arrested for a DWI or DUI; when you haven’t been drinking and are taking medication or have diabetes.
- Legalize marijuana and go to jail smoking marijuana in cars and often on probation.
- Legalize marijuana and still have to pass a drug test to get a job.
- The right time to sell your home and the right time for first-time buyers.
The legal clinics will be held at the Dallas County Eastfield Campus located at 3737 Motley Drive in Mesquite.
Doors open at 9:30 a.m. Inside the S building, the legal clinic starts at 10:00 a.m. to noon.
Verna’s HELP Foundation will also host its Super Weekend, celebrating 40 years of working in the community, advocating for change, while implementing new programs to help people throughout Dallas County.
On Friday, June 24, the foundation will host its “Giants Shoulders on Which We Stand Memorial” consisting of a memorial balloon and floral ceremony for the 30 city and county leaders who helped start and sustain the Judy Lott Community Center 1982 at Verna’s HELP Foundation.
The event will take place from 11 a.m. at 2 p.m. at the Dallas City Hall Plaza located at 1200 Marilla Street.
The event is free and open to the public and will honor the following:
- Late Frank and Judy Lott
- Honorable Elsie Faye Higgins
- Mayor Annet Strauss
- Gloria Hogg
- Murdeen Berry
- Olga Mae Rabourn
- Mr JB Jackson
- Honorable Albert & Lovie Lipscomb
- Pastor George W. Pryor
- William and Mozell Blair
- Comer J. Cottrell
- Pastor SM Wright Sr.
- Lawson Ridgeway
- Atti. Louis A Bedford
- Miniyards MT “Buddy”
- Judge John Wittington
- Judge Cleo Steele
- Frederic Meyer
- Norman Moorehead
- John Stemons
- Pierre and Marthe Stewart
- Dr. Charles Mitchell
- Mayor Jack Evans
- Medrano Poncho
- Mayor Starke Taylor
- Mayor Robert Folsom
On Saturday, June 25, 2022, their Seventh Annual Red Carpet Empowerment Prayer Brunch and recognition of the 2022 Dallas Living Legends Awards.
This event will take place at the Royal Oaks Country Club located at 7915 Greenville Avenue from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Distinguished living legends include:
- Mr. Charles Haley NFL & Hall of Fame and Super Bowl five times and the founder of Tackle Tomorrow
- Mr. Roland Parrish – CEO – McDonald’s
- Mrs. Margie Aquilar – FAI – Studios-TV
- Atti. Paul Coggins – Locke Lord’s and former American lawyer
- Mrs. Carolyn Toliver – Senior Benefits Advisor DAAA
- Mrs. Ashlee Hunt-Kleinert -Ruthie’s Rolling Café
- Ms. Libbie Terrell Lee – Golden SEEDS Foundation
- Mr. Lauriston Crockett – Genostim Labs
- Ms. Felicia Frazier – Founder – The Chocolate MINT Foundation
- Pastor SM Wright Jr.-Christmas in the Park
- Ms. Rosie Stromberg – Dallas JHS Administrator.
- Mr. Tim Brown – Heisman and NFL